Recommended by 4 people
Response time: Within a day
Member since: 3 years ago
Completed Job: 0
An urban nomad who has lived in Singapore, Hong Kong, France, Italy and German for his quest of understanding the relationship between townscape and local culture essence. Always carried the identity of “entre les deux”, he is back to his “Heimat” in year 2013 but with a regional prospect. As an independent curator and member of ICOM Malaysia, his recent curatorial proposal has been selected by Waley Art Taipei as one of the five winners out of 57 submissions in July 2020. The very same proposal has also been awarded the grant by the Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government in January 2021. He has also published a paper titled "Negotiating the Realization of Asian Queer Art" in 2020 Annual Conference and Seminar Proceedings of Taiwan Art History Association.
Kenneth Wong is a sole proprietor of People Ideas Culture 人思文, introducing the niche business lines of: - place making, heritage tourism, social and CSR innovation and cultural programming (art exhibition, festival and bazaar curatorial).
Among the past undertakings and initiatives by People Ideas Culture 人思文 are:
"Social Artistry in Kuala Lumpur", LAGE EGAL art space (June 2017, Berlin)
Bandung Creative Movement Conference (Oct 2017, Indonesia)
"Approaches to Creative Place Making", International Landscape Architects Dialog (Oct 2017, Kuala Lumpur)
"River Cities" panellist session, 7th Macau Literary Festival (Mar 2018, Macau)
CURATED WALKS (base on oral history exercises)
Bangsarian His-story Walk
Bangsar Trademark Walk
Bangsar Place Making Walk
and KL Binocle Walk (Chinatown)
-1 day International Industrial Heritage Marketing and Business Development Workshop in Ipoh, as satellite event of Pangkor International Development Dialogue (Sept 2017).
- Half day cultural mapping workshop "Exploring Rural Assets" in Kopisan Village, Gopeng, MALAYSIA (Apr 2019), collaborated with Contemplate Culture (Hong Kong)
- HIMAPAN lotus leaf art exhibition, Anggun Boutique Hotel
- LOCK UP locker art exhibition, Harry Rogers Home Furniture Shop
- OWLS KNOW photography exhibition, March Azalier Café
- REVIVING THE PAST, CONNECTING THE FUTURE, Bon Estate Property Showroom
- SEA OF TEARS regional art exhibition, Atelier de Rouge Gallery
- ILLUSSION ENCOUNTER photography exhibition, Port Commune warehouse
- KISS art exhibition, Geographer KL Café
- WHAT AI DIDN’T TELL YOU art exhibition, Café 55
- RIVER CITIES art exhbition, Anak Baba Cafe
- Artworks sourcing for consignment in hotels
- CRAFTING THE FUTURE bazaar: (i) Future Cities; (ii) The Power of Design
- Invisibility/ Invincibility: inclusive of LGBTQ community
- TO SHARE/NOT TO SHARE： sharing economy and The Venus Project
- 共享空间，共享价值; 城市牧民; 艺术打造的城市
- KAV/ KIV series I, II, III: Kinrara Artist Village public engagement session
- SEA OF TEARS: human trafficking via sea routes
- KISS, NOT KILL: sexual grooming and sexual harassment
- Painting Conservation: Who cares
- AI: Foe or Friends: Invasion of Artificial Intelligence
- Contextualized Type Design in Malaysia
- "你的料理，我的食谱" 艺术讲座
- Who's Heritage: Indian Community Heritage
- China in Those Days
- Rural Landscape Heritage in Hong Kong and its Challenges
He acted as sustainability consultant for Kuala Lumpur Centre for Sustainable Innovation (KLCSI) for Urban Fish Farming project. During his time as senior analyst with Penang Institute, he has published a public policy paper with IFAIR Berlin for the partnership potential of ASEAN-Europe in Climate Change initiative. He was nominated by the Australian High Commission to participate in the second ASEAN Emerging Leadership Program, which is organized by The Asia Foundation. He was selected by WHITRAP Su Zhou in participated the advanced conservation workshop for restoration proposal of Shan Tang Street. He has nominated Cameron Highland as the endangered cultural landscape site for World Monument Fund. In terms of professional recognition, he is a member of ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments and Sites) and ICTC (International Cultural Tourism Committee).
Prior to this, he undertook two new township projects with AJC Planning in Iskandar, IRDA. He has served in Centre of Urban Greenery and Ecology (Singapore) as Skyrise Greenery Program Manager. He started humbly as a feature journalist with Nanyang Press. Academically, he is both Erasmus Mundus scholar for MA Cultural Landscape in Europe and Asian Development Bank – Japan scholar for MSc Urban Planning with The University of Hong Kong.
3 Mar, 2016 - 12 Dec, 2019
People Ideas Culture 人思文, Kuala Lumpur
Journalist / Editor/ Writing
As consultant for place making projects (neighborhood scales and community based), heritage tourism projects (state level), as curator for art exhibitions (social and environmental issues oriented), and as organizer for public talks (relevant to art, culture and heritage).
The highlights of milestones are: Beneficiary for mobility grant of CENDANA to bring two emerging artists and exhibit in 5th LICA (Lisbon International Contemporary Art exhibition) in Oct 2018 ; Selected by IFACCA to serve as rapporteur for the 8th World Summit on Arts and Culture (March 2019, Kuala Lumpur); invited as panelist speaker in “Approaches to Creative Place Making” in International Landscape Architects Dialog (Oct 2017, Kuala Lumpur), and “River Cities” panelist session in the 7th Macau Literary Festival (March 2018).
Writing samples: https://peopleideasculture.medium.com/
Curatorial sample: https://www.psychogeographywander.net/
Reason of resign
Major in MA Cultural Landscape
7 Jul, 2010 - 9 Sep, 2012
Major in MSc Urban Planning
Urban Studies/ Town Planning
9 Sep, 2006 - 9 Sep, 2008
Grand Prize for Young People Lab
Presented in WSCC (World Sustainable Cities Conference) in October 2017.
Revitalization scheme of Jalan Riong and surroundings (Bangsar)
Institute Architects Malaysia, Institute of Planners Malaysia
9 Sep, 2017
Tools & Software